Health Benefits of Lemon Essential Oil according to Western and Chinese Medicine
The oil of this common household item is packed with therapeutic goodness. Here I will highlight a few of the health benefits of lemon essential oil according to Chinese and Western medicine.
Health benefits of Lemon essential oil according to Western Medicine
- According to this study listed on PubMed, the vapor of lemon oil has an anti-stress response via serotonin and dopamine.
- Healthline lists a plethora of benefits such as pain relief, skin cleansing, wound healing, and mood-enhancement.
- According to another study found here, lemon essential oil has been found to have a positive effect on cholesterol. This finding is consistent with the Chinese medicine health benefit of lemon oil.
Thankfully Lemon Essential oil is well researched
It can be used by almost anyone. A couple of precautionary notes with citrus oils:
- They can be irritating to the skin
- Can be photosensitizing. Meaning they react to sunlight. Do not expose the affected area to the sun for at least 6 hours after application.
The Health Benefits of Lemon Essential Oil according to Chinese Medicine are:
- Break up congestion – this oil, consistent with its western findings, breaks up congestion in the digestive system. We often time refer to this as dampness and has a range of ways that it will show up (Bloating, cholesterol, nausea etc. )
- Frees up Gall Bladder Qi – Gall Bladder is responsible for digesting fats and bile or helping send food down the digestive tract. Lemon essential oil helps break up fats so the Gall Bladder can do its job.
- Harmonizes the Stomach. There have also been findings that Lemon essential oil helps with ulcers, which is congruent with its ability to harmonize the stomach so that the stomach can process what it comes into contact with. If there is too much acid it can help balance this.
To learn more about Chinese medicine or essential oils check out the courses I offer.
The next 6- week, Seek: An Introduction to Chinese Medicine and Essential Oils course will be running:
January 18, 2021
Get on the list and we’ll let you know when you can officially sign up!