3 Easy and Gentle ways to promote your body’s natural detoxification pathways
It is spring! And the body is naturally wanting to move out of the stagnancy of winter. Related to the wood element and the Liver and Gall Bladder organs, spring is a time when we can gently support ourselves through these 3 easy means via:
- Herbal Tonics
First, I’d like to say something about some of the detox kits out there. You know the ones that have you running to the bathroom every 20 minutes crapping your pants?!? Please don’t do those. They are hard on the body and unnecessary. In fact, they can in some cases do more harm than good. Especially for women. As women, we give up our resources once a month via our menstrual blood, so purging even more resources can be depleting and leave you feeling exhausted. Our body is our friend, we don’t need to fight it we just need to support it.
Here are 3 of my favorite easy and gentle ways to detox
- Sprouts – especially broccoli sprouts, which are abundant in a compound called Sulforaphane. Trust me, you want to know about this compound. One of the best resources for this is Dr. Rhonda Patrick. She’s studied it and has tons of information on it all over the web. Here’s a YouTube video of her talking about broccoli sprouts. Sprouts in general help to stimulate the livers detox pathway’s so you can also try other sprouts such as; alfalfa, kale, mung bean etc.
- Greens – Springtime is all about the green. It supports the Liver by nourishing the blood. Steamed greens over cold raw greens always to support healthy digestion – although in the warmer weather you can get away with a few more salads than normal.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – The pungency of Apple Cider Vinegar promotes the Livers natural physiological function to move Qi in all directions. Try taking 1tsp in 1/3 cup water before meals.
- Sweat! Sweat! Sweat! Get your Qi moving. I recommend for people to sweat it up for about 30-40 minutes 3-4 times a week. Shy away from anything in excess include excessive exercise and not doing any exercise at all.
- If you can’t exercise due to an injury seek out an infrared sauna.
- Sweating and moving our bodies help move the Liver Qi as well and help develop the habit of smooth flow. It’s also very good for stress, anxiety, and sleep.
- Gentle Herbal Tonics
- Last week I posted a VLOG about a spring tonic that I like to make. You can find that here. The only thing I will mention is that if you are a man, you can exchange the red raspberry leaf for Peppermint.
Here’s what detoxing can do for your overall health
- Regulate hormones
- Regulate digestion
- Regulate circadian rhythms
- Help maintain consistent energy
- Ease anxiety
Happy Spring Cleaning!
If you are interested in learning more about how Chinese Medicine works, check out this 6-week course.
Love for the light and the dark within,